Welcome to Mu Iota Chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Incorporated, where brothers have served Central Ohio continuously in the name of our beloved fraternity for over 75 years. I am honored and humbled to serve as Basileus (President) of this chapter. In addition to the 10 nationally mandated programs, the men of Mu Iota chapter are proud to mentor young men through our nationally recognized signature Omega Gents program.
As we are living in unprecedented times, it is important that we as professional black men lead by example by being visibly active in our communities, politically active in our civic societies, and physically present to combat social injustices. As we deal with the disproportionate impact the COVID-19 virus has had on our communities, we encourage everyone to remain safe by continuing to follow the guidance of our healthcare professionals.
Mu Iota Chapter meeting
Every 2nd Thursday
899-901 Old Leonard Ave
Columbus, OH 43203
The history of the Fourth District represents the evolution of two organizational concepts now embodied in the present-day functions of the District Representative and District Meeting.
The first District Representatives were appointed by the Grand Basileus who was authorized by a constitutional amendment in 1922. The District Representatives were delegated the function of assisting the Grand Chapter in the supervision of chapters within a geographical area known as a District.
Ohio and West Virginia’s journey over the past 90 years to what is now known as the Fourth District has not been a straight path. In 1920, Grand Basileus Raymond G. Robinson added Kappa Chapter at West Virginia Institute (now West Virginia State University). Then during the first year of Grand Basileus Alston Atkins’ administration in 1922 the name Kappa, which had been the designation of the Chapter at West Virginia Institute, became the name of a chapter organized at Syracuse University. The Chapter at West Virginia State was then given a new charter as Theta Psi.
The history of the Fourth District in Ohio dates back to 1919, the year the Grand Chapter took steps to establish a chapter in Cleveland. Grand Basileus Raymond G. Robinson, spent some time in the Forest City hopelessly seeking men possessing the desired Omega ideals. The story of this unsuccessful venture, however, offered a challenge to a young newcomer to Cleveland, Nathaniel B. Bowen, then a brother and student at Morehouse College. Between school semesters Bowen renewed the search and in collaboration with Ted Hendricks, a brother, and several other migrant brothers, a qualified group was ready for a charter in 1923, the first in Ohio. The new chapter was designated Zeta Omega. Charter members were: P. H. White, Estes Gunn, John McMorriess, Fred Roseboro, Julius Thomas, J. E. Edwards, Nathaniel Bowen, Elmer Whiting, William T. White, A. J. Thomas, and Henry Moon. Later that year, Upsilon was chartered at Wilberforce University.
In 1923 under the leadership of Brother Nathaniel Bowen the two states were joined together with Western Pennsylvania and known as the Ninth District. Over the next 23 years the two states separated and aligned with other states in various Districts. Over the years, the two states have traveled through the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth and Eleventh Districts. Changes occurred in the mid 30’s when Brother James H. Roland was elected DR of the Eleventh District in 1940, which consisted of both; Ohio and West Virginia.
The first Fourth District Meeting under the constitutional mandate was held in Columbus, Ohio, in 1941 on the campus of Ohio State University. Nine chapters were eligible to participate in this first District Meeting. This development represents an inspiring story in Omega history.
Under the leadership of District Representative E. A. Bolling in 1946 Ohio and West Virginia officially became known as the Fourth District. The leadership of District Representative Bolling was instrumental in expanding the number of chapters that are now a part of the Fourth District, and leading the District’s adoption of the Social Action Program.
Grand Conclaves: 25th in Cleveland, Ohio 1937; 34th in Columbus, Ohio in 1948 (the first time the 4th District, as we are known today hosted); 39th in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1953; 44th in Cleveland, Ohio in 1958; 68th in Cleveland, Ohio in 1994. Lastly, Cincinnati is the host of the 2017 Leadership Conference.