learn about our history
Chartered June 1, 1945, Mu Iota Chapter was formed for graduate Brothers to strengthen and preserve the Omega tradition and ideals that the undergraduate chapter at the Ohio State University, (Iota Psi) had already established since its founding in 1926. Four Brothers from Beta chapter at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania took it upon themselves to establish a forum for Omega Men in the Columbus, Ohio area to fellowship. Once Brothers John White, Allen Wright, George Carter and Bro. Peters founded Mu Iota, at least 30 men in the Columbus area joined them in their quest to uplift Omega.
By 1948, the chapter had been so successful that the National Conclave was held in Columbus that same year. Mu Iota Chapter has since enjoyed the privilege of being an influential factor throughout the Columbus Community. Throughout the years, Brothers of Mu Iota have had a noticeable presence in the public school system, local politics, within the religious and civic associations within the community. During the mid-sixties a group of graduate brothers purchased a residential property for use by the undergraduate Brothers.
This was a notable accomplishment, for this property, the “Que House,” located within The Ohio State University community was the first for any non-white organization to have acquired. Unfortunately, by 1976 the “Que House” had to be closed and eventually sold.